The ADVI team is a strong, thoughtful, creative and highly collaborative group of healthcare executives, public policy alumni, and medical professionals from public and commercial payer settings, proven at identifying, creating, managing and realizing opportunities for transformational change, generating ideas or accelerating growth. Together, our people offer a rare combination of leadership experience, industry relationships, knowledge of the political and policy processes, reimbursement background, and transactional expertise to help our clients build true value in healthcare.
Click the pictures to see the full bio.
Marc Samuels, JD, MPH
President and CEO
Marc Samuels is the President and CEO of ADVI (formerly HillCo HEALTH). Samuels is responsible for the strategic vision, leadership and operational execution of the Company, as well as development and execution strategies designed to grow business outside of North America. He provides senior relationship management for the firm’s top clients across life sciences, digital health, managed care and services. He is a graduate of The University of Texas School of Law, Yale School of Medicine and the University of Michigan.
Worked at the highest levels of national and Texas state politics:
- White House Office of Policy Development
- Vice President’ s Office
- Pentagon Office of Health Affairs
- Texas Health & Human Services Commission
- Office of the Governor, State of Texas
Involved in many of the most seminal policy issues across public and private payers
- Coding and payment of molecular diagnostics
- Drug Payment Reform
- Quality and registry issues
- Key overage decisions: EMEND, ESAs, EXACT SCIENCES, T A VR, VISUDYNE, ZEV ALIN, PROVENGE
Spoken and Published: In Vivo, Journal of Oncology Practice, Medical Economics, Health Systems Review; Managed Care Answer Book , HMO and Capitation Answer Book, published by Panel Publishers, New York.
Larry Leisure is the Chairman at ADVI. He also serves as a Managing Partner of Chicago Pacific Founders, a growth equity firm and a senior advisor to Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. He received his AB in economics from Stanford University and his MBA in finance from the University of California, Los Angeles.
Distinguished career in healthcare serving in a number of senior consulting and management roles.
- Global Managing Partner, Accenture
- Group Benefits & Managed Care Practice Leader, Towers Watson
- Senior Vice President, Kaiser Permanente
Former client partner to many of the largest US employers, health plans and PBMs including
- AT&T, Proctor & Gamble, Wells Fargo
- Aetna, CIGNA, HealthNet, UnitedHealth Group and WellPoint
- Caremark, Medco
Well known industry leader and innovator
- Co-founded Healthspottr, an innovation collaborative focused on the acceleration of new ventures in digital health and managed care arena
- Member of the board of directors of several technology and digital health companies including Jiff, Lumiata, Oasis Outsourcing, Project Frog, Timeline Labs, and Xsell Technologies.
Alan Sokolow, MD
Sr. Vice President
Alan Sokolow is a Senior Vice President at ADVI and serves as a chief medical officer to many of our client organizations. Dr. Sokolow has a unique career in healthcare, having been involved early in the development of healthcare informatics, and program development in demand and care management. Alan received his BA degree from Pomona College and MD at the UCLA School of Medicine, where he was also elected to AOA. He trained in internal medicine at the University of Utah, and at the University of Rochester. He is board certified in internal medicine.
Significant Industry Experience as Chief Medical Officer
- Ovations, the senior markets division of United Health Group
- Blue Shield of California
- Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NY
- Responsible for all aspects of healthcare cost and quality management including medical policy, medical management, high risk and condition management programs, provider profiling, HEDIS reporting, pharmacy services and behavioral health
- Instrumental in the development of Episode Treatment Grouper (ETG) based analyses of health care costs, as well as the pioneering design of case based contracting
- Integrally involved in risk-sharing and ACO model development, including risk convening
Sr. Vice President
Michael Beebe, Senior Vice President, joined ADVI in 2008. Mr. Beebe advises clients on all aspects of reimbursement and strategic policy planning, including specific coding strategies in the physician office and the hospital or other health care provider settings. He directs ADVI’s device and diagnostic practices. Mr. Beebe has a Bachelor of Arts from Penn State University and a Master’s Degree from Boston University.
Long and deep physician specialty relationships
- Mr. Beebe spent 14 years at the AMA prior to joining ADVI; his most recent position was Director of CPT
- He was a central participant in AMA advocacy efforts involving public and private coverage, coding and reimbursement issues; including provider class action litigation, CMS physician payment negotiations, and local coverage determinations
- Senior Social Scientist in Physician Payment Systems where he was primary staff to the AMA/Specialty Society RVS Update Committee (RUC).
Responsible for or involved in many of the most seminal product and service coding decisions
- Molecular and companion diagnostics – created MAAA and NGS coding nomenclatures
- Spinal techniques
- V accines
- T ele-monitoring
- Wound Care and Skin substitutes
- Cardiac Procedures, including T A VR and minimally invasive
Sr. Vice President
Angela Lively, Senior Vice President, leads the firm’s drugs and biologics practice. commercialization practice and has spent her career advising top biopharmaceutical companies on issues affecting patient access to new and innovative products. Ms. Lively completed her Masters in Social Work Social Policy with a concentration in health policy from The Catholic University of America and has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and Sociology from Baylor University.
Significant Industry Expertise
Profound Consulting Experience
- DK Pierce
Leader in Innovative Thinking
- Evidence development, local and national payer strategy (Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial insurance), coding recommendations and support, advocacy development, and health policy change
- Focused in the areas of nephrology, oncology, primary care, internal medicine, and cardiology
- Projects include self-administered biologics, physician-administered drugs and biologics, dialysis supplies, and inpatient and outpatient products with unique drug delivery systems
Louis Jacques M.D.
Sr. Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer
Louis Jacques leads ADVI's strategic product development initiatves by spearheading an all-client initiative focused on a top down commitment to change, recognizing that public and private payer "pay for value constructs" will require evidencing value and tying remuneration of our client's offerings to the evidencing of that value. Dr. Jacques is a graduate of Georgetown University and The University of Maryland School of Medicine.
A Distinguished Career in Government Service and in Medicine
- Director, Coverage & Analysis Group (CAG), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) since 2009
- Division Director, Items and Devices within CAG from 2004-2009
- Led CMS collaborations with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) including Entrepreneurs in Residence Program
- Practiced medicine as an aQending physician for almost 20 years, and was an Associate Dean at Georgetown University School of Medicine before coming to CMS
Passionate about Change and Innovation
- Implemented Coverage with Evidence Development (CED) under the Medicare program
- Co-created joint parallel review pilot between CMS and FDA
- Responsible for updating Medicare coverage in FDA IDE trials
- Coauthored over 60 Medicare National Coverage Determinations
- Developed program oversight of the Local Coverage Determination process
Recognized as a Leader, Speechifier, and Writer
- Invited speaker at national policy and professional society meetings nationally and abroad
- Authored or coauthored original research and commentaries in peer reviewed medical journals
- Awarded FDA Leveraging/Collaboration Award (TVT Registry Team) 2013; FDA Parallel Review Team Award 2012; CMS Leadership Awards 2006, 2010; Golden Apple (Teaching Award - Georgetown University School of Medicine)
Marci Mutti is a Vice President at ADVI serving clients in the life science space, with an emphasis on medical devices and diagnostics. She creates strategic and tactical recommendations for clients to ensure optimal market access for their products. Marci also participates in speaking engagements with clients, policy makers, and thought leaders and serves as a subject matter expert horizontally across the firm to inform various projects. Previously Marci held the position of Director, Oncology Payer Relations Managers for Glaxo Smith Kline, serving as GSK primary point of contact with Medicare Part B contractors in support of GSK’s Part B portfolio for Oncology and Immunology. Prior to that Marci held the position of Director, Reimbursement Policy & Advocacy, Public Policy & Advocacy, also at Glaxo Smith Kline. Marci holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of Maryland and received a Bachelor of Arts from Carleton College.
Sr. Vice President
Paul Martino currently serves as Senior Vice President to ADVI focusing on commercialization of products and contracting and network strategies for ADVI life sciences, services and managed care clients. Paul holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy from the University of Connecticut.
Paul's work experience spans over thirty years in managed care, including:
- Vice President of Clinical Strategy and Innovation for WellPoint, one of the nation’s largest health benefits companies, with more than 65 million individuals served through it and its subsidiaries.
- Vice President of Kaiser Permanente’s national accounts, as well as vice president of its disease management division.
- Successfully directed Aetna’s Midwestern sales and account retention initiatives.
Paul's areas of focus include:
- Clinical strategy
- Innovation and outcomes initiatives
- Developing innovative solutions for the care management and care delivery marketplace
- Closely following emerging employer needs as they change due to health care reform, legislative requirements, and the emergence of health care exchanges
- Evaluating and measuring client interventions akin to his role at WellPoint where he did the same for provider and member interventions; to ensure they are clinically sound and drive improved health care quality and outcomes while also providing appropriate market access and reimbursement.
Ronald R. Barkley M.S. J.D.
Ron Barkley, Senior Advisor, is a healthcare business development and operations officer with leadership expertise in medical group practice; clinically integrated network and hospital/health system settings. Ron’s particular areas of focus include the alignment of community oncologists and hospitals/health systems to form comprehensive and integrated oncology service lines and cancer centers and the organizational design and payment re-structuring of oncology within accountable care initiatives, such as Oncology ACO and Oncology Medical Home models. Barkley holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences from Michigan State University; a Master’s Degree in Healthcare Administration from California State University and earned his law degree after attending Southwestern University and California College of Law.
Long and deep experience in medical group and hospital practice management.
- Served as Executive Director for a regionally dominant community oncology practice in New England
- Market executive for the organizational re-structuring of the Chicago-area practices of the US Oncology Network.
- Managing Director of the for-profit clinical service businesses of a multi-hospital integrated delivery system in Southern California
- Interim CEO charged with the organizational re-structuring of a hospital-affiliated Cancer Institute in South Florida
Significant focus on payment reform, including new models of care delivery
- Bundled Payment Arrangements
- Oncology ACO development
- Shared Risk
Co-Founder and Co-Chair of the Cancer Center Business Summit (CancerBusinessSummit.com), a national oncology thought leadership forum on matters of oncologist-hospital alignment, alignment business models and market consolidation strategies in oncology/cancer care delivery.
Steven S. Brooks, MD MBA FACC
Steven Brooks, ADVI Senior Advisor, is a multi-faceted health care consultant, publisher, cardiologist and clinical trialist. Steve graduated from medical school from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in 1996 and completed a residency in Internal Medicine and fellowships in General and Interventional Cardiology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Steve also completed an MBA at the Johns Hopkins Carey School of Business in the Business of Medicine Program, and remains involved with the program as an adjunct faculty member.
Considerable and diverse experience in government, teaching, and research.
- Presently Chief Innovation Officer at Sage Growth Partners, a venture business and technology incubator
- Served as a medical officer for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the Peripheral Interventional Devices Branch and Interventional Cardiology Devices Branches
- Worked for a private practice, Mid-Atlantic Cardiology
- Former assistant professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Maryland Medical Center, specializing in Interventional Cardiology
Steve's interests include:
- Regulatory strategy
- Scientific and medical due diligence
- Clinical trial design and pre submission to launch regulatory and reimbursement planning
Adina Safer is a senior advisor. Her focus is on distribution and reimbursement for complex pharmaceutical and biotechnology and device products. Adina leads the commercialization and channel marketing group at ADVI. Her expertise crosses the areas of pharmacy benefit management, medical benefit management, specialty pharmacy services & specialty distribution as well as Medicare part D coverage dynamics. She earned her BA degree from Columbia University in New York and holds both a MBA and a MPH from the University of California at Berkeley.
Strong Industry Experience
- TheraCom, a CVS/Caremark company focused on specialty services
- Consumer Health Interactive
- Lehman Brothers
- Shatuck Hammond Partners
- Arthur Andersen Consulting
- REMS/RiskMAP’s and distribution support for biotechnology and medical device products
- Development of specialty pharmacy channel marketing and partnering programs
- Management of $500m Medicare Part D demonstration program for the company
Billy Millwee is a Managing Principal with Sellers Dorsey, a premier Medicaid Operations firm, and serves as a Senior Advisor to ADVI and its clients. As Texas Medicaid and SCHIP director from 2010-2012, Billy Millwee provided leadership for the state’s Medicaid and CHIP programs and was responsible for operations impacting over 3.5 million lives and involving more than 40,000 providers, as well as managing a nearly $30 billion budget. Millwee now serves as a senior advisor to ADVI and HillCo Partners in Washington, DC and Texas and as a board member or consultant to a number of nonprofit healthcare organizations. Millwee holds a master’s degree in health care administration from Central Michigan University, and a master’s in sociology from Texas State University.
Strong Government Experience
- Millwee was involved in Texas state government for almost 20 years.
- Previous state government experience includes development of regional trauma systems and development, implementation, and deployment of immunization clinic assessment and program improvement protocols.
- Since 1998, Millwee served in a variety of management positions within the Texas Medicaid/SCHIP programs, including: director, Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT), and Medical Transportation Programs; director, Program Operations and Policy Development; director, Managed Care Operations; and director, Claims Administrator Operations.
- Millwee is the Chair Emeritus of the National Association of State Medicaid Directors
Valerie Reynolds is a Senior Analyst at ADVI and provides research and analytical support on reimbursement and policy planning facing pharmaceutical and biotechnology oncology and diagnostic products and medical device manufacturers.
Valerie focuses on reimbursement issues for the current standard of care for cancer tumor types as well as expanding patient access to new label or off label compendia approved indications. In her prior role with UBC Valerie helped conduct several comprehensive reimbursement landscape and strategic assessments for new device technologies across a broad range of medical conditions and settings of care. Valerie also designed and implemented economic analyses for international and US audiences. Valerie also has knowledge of the cardiovascular disease and mental health space and has helped clients strategically position interventions in crowded markets.
Valerie holds a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, Political Science and Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, and a MPH – Health Policy from George Washington University.
Tess Wong is a Director at ADVI serving clients in the life science space, with an emphasis on medical devices and diagnostics. She creates strategic and tactical recommendations for clients to ensure optimal market access for their products. Tess also participates in speaking engagements with clients, policy makers, and thought leaders and serves as a subject matter expert horizontally across the firm to inform various projects. Previously Tess held the position of Area Reimbursement Manager for SI-BONE, Inc. where she developed and executed comprehensive strategies to obtain positive coverage decisions and adequate payment from commercial and government payers, producing fair and equitable reimbursement policies. Tess also Interpreted CMS final rules and related impact to products and customers. Tess holds a Master of Science – Healthcare Administration from Barry University and received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Nova University.
Lindsey Tighe is an Associate Director at ADVI in our Market Access and Health Policy Practice. She transitions the scope of projects from concept to operational for clients and creates both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients to ensure optimal market access for client products. Lindsey proactively seeks and obtains speaking engagements with clients, policy makers, and thought leaders in order to generate public recognition for ADVI. Prior to joining ADVI, Lindsey was a Senior Project Manager for National Quality Forum in DC, providing strategic direction and oversight for NQF consensus development projects addressing resource use, cardiovascular conditions, endocrine conditions, and patient safety. She also performed analyses of measures submitted to NQF and developed background papers/technical reports to disseminate findings and recommendations. Lindsey holds a Master of Science, Physiology and Biophysics from Georgetown University and received her Bachelor of Science, Psychology from Duke University.
Krista Lambo is a Manger at ADVI and provides research, analytic, and strategic support for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and diagnostics teams on a variety of health policy issues. She monitors the policy landscape as it relates to client and organization interest, including pertinent issues and public meetings within the Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services and on Capitol Hill.
Prior to joining ADVI, Krista worked for a member of the Senate Finance Committee, where she focused on the healthcare portfolio. Krista completed her Master of Public Health in Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan and received her Bachelor’s degree in Politics and Government and Pre-medicine from Ohio Wesleyan University.
Executive Assistant to CEO
Danae serves as an invaluable internal asset responsible for coordinating initial client engagement and meeting planning. Ms. Kelly also facilitates firm infrastructure, coordination of information technology and communication resources, and office logistics.
Prior to joining ADVI, Dane lead event coordination and visitor operations for the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial Fund. Ms. Kelly holds a bachelors degree in Government, Political Theory from Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, Virginia.
Grant Bagley M.D. J.D.
Grant Bagley M.D. J.D. is Counsellor Emeritus at ADVI. Bagley has been instrumental to the growth of HillCo HEALTH, one of the predecessor company’s of ADVI and is a mentor to its leadership. Throughout his distinguished career in public service and medicine Bagley has created and fought for most of the seminal coverage or payment policies in Medicare including treating certain devices as drugs for purposes of Medicare coverage; the first and only balanced bill allowance; ASP for radiopharmaceuticals, inherent reasonableness, least costly alternative, coverage with evidence and parallel review.
A Distinguished Career
- Co-Founder, HillCo HEALTH
- Partner and Manager of Health Care Practice, Arnold & Porter
- Director of Coverage and Analysis Group, CMS
- Medical Officer, Payment Group, Center for Medicare, CMS
- Medical Officer, Office of the Commissioner, FDA
- AMA CPT Advisor
- ECRI Board Member
- FDLI Contributor and Speaker
Leader in creating innovative coverage and payment pathways and forging FDA-AHRQ-CMS cooperation
Sara Agate is a Junior Associate at ADVI and is responsible for conducting qualitative and quantitative research and monitoring the policy landscape related to organization and client interest. She also drafts and presents deliverables to clients and attends and reports on government healthcare hearings and public meetings related to issues of concern to ADVI and its clients. Prior to joining ADVI, Sara was a Research Specialist for University of Illinois at Chicago, Great Cities Institute, a Graduate Assistant for the UIC Chancellor’s Committee on the Status of Latinos, Office of Diversity, and a Health Law and Policy Intern for the Federation of Women Lawyers (Kenya). Sara holds a Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (Minor in Psychology) from the University of Illinois at Chicago.